Followers

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Still missing the point...

Sitting here sipping home made cappucino, made by my beautiful husband, I've been wondering...

When did fake disability = art?

I read Just Another Crooked Step Forward's blog "Well, there goes that" yesterday. The message resonated with me so much that I posted a link and a comment to my social networking page yesterday, with the following comment:

"...used to think that I was the only one (or one of the few) who thought that the whole 'fake disability = art' concept was complete and total audacity, artistic mediocrity. Thank you to those of you who speak out against the artistic objectification of disabled people."

In response, I get half a dozen comments about how "inspiring" I am, and it infuriates me! Why am I amazing to you, simply by virtue of existence? The very act of breathing in and out is cause for shock and awe.

Off ramp for "The Point"? You missed it! Quelle surprise, ici!

Oh, for God's sake, give me a break!

Could it just be that my merely being alive reminds you that you may die, or become terribly maimed and/or disabled at any moment? And of course, being the naturally self-preserving creatures that we are, we spend copious amounts of time denying our mortality and putting the reality of increased likelihood of illness with age at the back of our minds. And here I am, rolling around like the Grim Reaper in pretty clothes. How DARE I?

At first pass, I am sure you would say, "no, that's not it, really it isn't. I'm just impressed by what you do!" Well, thank you for the backhanded compliment. What I hear you say is that you're relieved I'm doing it, because you don't have to. I think about access ramps and wheelchair repair so you don't have to.

What a magnanimous deed I am doing on the part of Humanity. God, that IS inspiring! Hand me a tissue.

But ask any person what their biggest fear is around death and dying, and they will all say, "no pain, no long drawn out illness. I just want to die in my sleep."

Yes, you want to be fully healthy and whole. When you're dead. Well, in case you weren't aware, all funeral homes and crematoriums are fully wheelchair accessible.

No comments:

Post a Comment